At the moment it is very hot and humid on the island. That means that we need to drink a lot of water.
But a lot of people and especially children, find drinking water boring so I want to give you some ideas to pimp your water. And what better to use then some of the produce of the CSA box!
The tapwater on the island is reverse osmosis water. Since most mineral particles (including sodium, calcium, magnesium and iron) are larger than water molecules, they are removed by the semi-permeable membrane of the R.O. system. So I always put some Himalayan salt inside my bottles of tapwater. Himalayan crystal salt is far superior to traditional iodized salt. Himalayan salt is millions of years old and pure, untouched by many of the toxins and pollutants that pervade other forms of ocean salt. Known in the Himalayas as “white gold, Himalayan salt contains the same 84 natural minerals and elements found in the human body. This form of salt has also been maturing over the past 250 million years under intense tectonic pressure, creating an environment of zero exposure to toxins and impurities. You can buy this salt in every natural health store or online.
Approximately 70% of our body’s mass is made of water and according to a number of doctors, drinking a total of eight glasses of water a day fulfils the necessary requirement of this liquid our body demands. Except when you are living in the Caribbean I would recommend drinking up to 12 glasses a day because we loose a lot more by sweating.
Drinking enough water can surely help you in living a healthy life.
1) Water is the only liquid on Earth that safely reduces weight, it contains no calories. It removes the by-products of fat and keeps you fresh and healthy. Water suppresses your appetite to a great extent and limits your food intake.
2) Water is a perfect replacement for your expensive ageing treatments. It moisturises your skin and keeps it fresh and glistening thereby enhancing its overall appeal. In addition, it helps maintain the elasticity and suppleness of the skin and prevents dryness by detoxifying the skin. Drinking enough water can also combat skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, dry skin, wrinkles and spots
3) Water is an essential component required for the effective working of our body since body parts including our brain and the various tissues are mostly composed of water. Considering this, water can significantly improve our ability to think and make us energetic too.
4) Water removes toxins and most of the waste products from our body contributing to a healthy quality of life. If our body lacks water then our heart has to make an extra effort to pump fresh oxygenated blood to our organs causing severe health issues
5) Water helps to relieve headaches and back pain. Although there are many reasons that contribute to headaches, dehydration is one of the most common ones
6) Regular intake of water increases your metabolic rate and improves your digestive system. If you are constipated, try drinking more water – it can work wonders!
Fruity Water recipes
A glass of warm water in the morning with lemonzest will help flush the digestive system and rehydrate the body.
But it can be a bit boring to drink only water with lemon. So here are a couple of yummie ideas to pimp your water:
- cucumber, lime and mint
- roseleaves and limezest
- orange and pineapple
- mint and ginger
- grapefruit and mint
- blueberries and orange
- watermelon and mint
- strawberry, lemon and basil
- raspberries and lime
- citrus and cilantro
- rosemary and grapefruit
- cantaloupe melon with honey and mint
- blueberries and lavender
- apple, papaya, pineapple
After an hour you can already taste the flavours of the herbs, fruit and greens. Instead of tapwater you can also use coconutwater.
You can also serve these for guests in big jars, looks great on your dinnertable! Or try this passionfruit basil cordial I found on the internet: http://www.thepeachkitchen.com/2014/09/passion-fruit-basil-cordial/
To end this post I will share a delicious water based smoothie. Enjoy!!!!
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups mango pieces, peeled
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed Lime Juice
- 3-4 tablespoons agave/stevia/coconutsugar
- Garnish: Lime Slices
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until liquified. Serve over lots of ice, garnished with a slice of lime.